[R] How to compile R with command completion?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 04:46:18 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Tobias Verbeke
<tobias.verbeke at gmail.com> wrote:
> Peng Yu wrote:
>
>> I want to compile R with command completion. But I don't find such an
>> option in configure. Can somebody let me know how to enable command
>> completion in an R session?
>
> AFAIK this is not an option you set when compiling.
> Did you try to type a letter (say 'l') and press the
> TAB key ?
>
> If you are not satisfied, you might want to use
> other R editors or development environments (such
> as StatET for Eclipse or ESS) which implement
> command completion in their idiosyncratic ways.

I have an older version of R where I can do command completion (after
typing TAB, it will list variables that are starting with the already
typed letter. I compiled a newer version R with the default compile
options, which does not do command completion.

Since the old version can do completion, I believe that there must be
a way to configure the new version also do so. Can somebody share your
insights with me? Thank you!

Regards,
Peng