[R] No parametric methods

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Wed Sep 23 18:01:40 CEST 2009

For power studies you need to think about what the data will look like under the alternative hypothesis.  Is the data shifted over a certain amount? (the most common assumption), or scaled? Or both? Or a completely different shape? Etc.

My preferred method for power studies in this case is to use simulation:

1. decide what you data is likely to look like (based on previous data, assumptions, ...)
2. decide how you will analyze the data (possibly iterate between 1 and 2)
3. write a function that simulates data under the alternative hypothesis, then analyzes it (using decisions from 1 and 2) and returns the p-value or test statistic.  The function will often have a parameter for sample size and a parameter for the size of the difference (scale, etc.).
4. use the replicate function to run your function a bunch of times.
5. the proportion of times that the above gives significant results is an estimate of the power.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center