[R] Alternatives to Rgraphviz -- request suggestions

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Sat Sep 19 00:04:48 CEST 2009

Dear R-helpers,

Can anyone suggest a useful alternative to Rgraphviz?  I am trying to
create fairly simple graphs showing the structures of a hierarchical
cluster analysis or of a structural equation model.  That is, I need
to be able to control the shape (rectangles vs ovals) of a limited
number  (<  several hundred) of nodes, connect them with edges that
have values (usually numeric but sometimes text) and produce pretty
output.

I want to be able to force nodes to be on side or the other of the
graph (sometimes, some on one side, others on the other side) and to
minimize the number of edge crossings.

I have been using Rgraphviz as a recommended but not required package
for my psych package for several years but remain frustrated by the
difficulties some users have installing Rgraphviz from BioConductor
as well as by recent problems with graphviz itself (it will not
install on Snow Leopard for the Mac).

When Rgraphviz works, it is wonderful.  However,  PC users in
particular seem to have problems installing it and now with Snow
Leopard I can not get it work either.

Does anyone have  a recommended graphics packages that has at least
some of the features of Rgraphviz (and hopefully, fewer of the
difficulties).

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Bill

--