[R] Brand new To R

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Sep 13 20:36:28 CEST 2009

On Sep 13, 2009, at 12:47 PM, czarjosh wrote:

> I am trying to learn R right now.   I came from minitab and wanted
> to learn
> something a bit more robust.   I am trying to figure out some simple
> probability to measures but I do not know the commands.  I am using
> OSX.
> Are there resources for figuring out simple events?
>
> If I have data distributed as Normal(5,4) and I wanted to know what
> the
> probability of P(<6) would be this, I cannot quite figute out how to
> work
> this out.
> --

tutorials on R, You are expected to do some (actually quite a bit)
self-study. In R the functions to compute density and cumulative
probability are generally grouped with the functions to generate
random numbers. In the case of the Normal distribution, the three
functions are all going to be described on the same help page. Any one
of the following commands should give you that same help page:

?pnorm
?dnorm
?rnorm

This should have been available to you by reading the "Introduction to
R" on ...

<dropping out of my mail client to access the pdf>

...  page 35

Search for:
" An Introduction to R"
Notes on R: A Programming Environment for Data Analysis and Graphics
Version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24)
(by)
W. N. Venables, D. M. Smith
and the R Development Core Team

The is also quite a bit of other documentation at the r-project
website, some of which will be specific for MacOSX. There is also a
specific MacOSX help mailing list that would be better for problems
with graphics devices or concerns relative to the use of the GUI. Seek
out further info at the Mailing lists information page which you have
already probably encounters

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories