[R] is that possible to graph 4 dimention plot

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Oct 13 10:00:21 CEST 2009

Hi

I tried to do similar thing and did get great answer from Alberto Monteiro

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e4/help/08/01/0682.html

However I finally managed to do it by slicing space by combination of
image and contour together with putting numbers on contour. Then I used
scizors and glue to put everything into 3 dimensions with colour and
numbers indicating tha values.

Regards
Petr

r-help-bounces at r-project.org napsal dne 12.10.2009 14:40:29:

> I'm basically put off by the question itself. Plotting a 4-dimensional
> graph is rather "complicated" if the world has only 3 dimensions. A
> 4-dimensional representation is typically a movie (with time as the
> 4th dimension). You could try to project a heatmap on a 3D surface
> graph, but I doubt this will make things much more clear.
>
> So the standard (and correct) way of solving this problem, is to think
> about a clever way to represent the needed information in less
> dimensions. Ryan gives some nice examples and tips of how to do that,
> but those are dismissed as "not helpful".
>
> People on the list answer voluntarily. They do not like to be told
> that "you don't think it will really help". Did you actually try it
> out? You certainly don't give that impression. Maybe you should have
> another look at it, and question your own approach to the problem as
> well.
>
> Keep it in mind for next time, you're not making yourself popular this
way.

> Kind regards
> Joris
>

> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca>
wrote:
> > On 07/10/2009 5:50 PM, gcheer3 wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks for your reply.
> >>
> >> But I don't think it will really help. My problem is as follows:
> >>
> >> I have 20 observations
> >> y <- rnorm(N,mean= rep(th[1:2],N/2),sd=th[3])
> >>
> >> I have a loglikelihood function for 3 variables mu<-(mu1,mu2) and sig
> >>        loglike <- function(mu,sig){
> >>        temp<-rep(0,length(y))
> >>        for (i in 1:(length(y)))
> >>        {

temp[i]<-log((1/2)*dnorm(y[i],mu[1],sig)+(1/2)*dnorm(y[i],mu[2],sig))}