[R] Way of handling empty value when reading in CSV

Jason Rupert jasonkrupert at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 6 18:38:35 CEST 2009

I believe I may be overlooking something simple in order address this, but I have searched RSeek.org and using "?", but cannot seem to find anything discussing this one.

I am using read.csv to read in a csv file.  Evidently in places there is nothing between the commas, so that when the data is read in the data.frame produced has values that are empty.

Is there a way to fix this when reading the data via "read.csv"?  I looked at all the options mentioned in ?read.csv, but did not see anything to address this case, e.g.

home,sqr_footage,cost
1,1500,150000
2,2000,200000
3,,300000
4,3500,350000
5,4000,450000

I would like for the empty cells to have a value of "NA" when they are read in.

Thank you for any feedback and insights.