[R] how to read BRFSS file

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Nov 22 02:41:42 CET 2009

On Nov 21, 2009, at 7:58 PM, chloe yoon wrote:

> hello,
> I am trying to do exploratory factor analysis with BRFSS dataset (
> http://www.cdc.gov/brfss/technical_infodata/surveydata/2008.htm) for a
> couple of days, but I was not able to do that and got frustrated. Can

> anybody help me with step by step guide? BRFSS dataset provides
> ASCII or SAS
> format.

I am not sure I have the time to create a step by step guide for a
dataset that is 47 MB long which I don't intend to use. I have
experience with loading datasets from NCHS from NHANES. Which dataset
do you intend to use? Perhaps if you posed more discrete questions,
then people could chime in as you proceeded stap by step.

The data layout for the ASCII data is described on:
http://www.cdc.gov/brfss/technical_infodata/surveydata/2008/varLayout_table_08.htm

So it looks like you will be using either read.sas or read.fwf? Have
you tried either one? What experiences or preparation have you you to
report?

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories