[R] how to read BRFSS file

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 02:36:47 CET 2009

Exactly what have you tried and what did not work?  I downloaded the
'.asc' (text) version of the data and it appears to be fixed format
with 1294 characters per line; there are about 414K lines of data in
the file.  How much of the data do you need to extract?  You can read
in a portion of the file at a time and then extract just the fields
that you need for processing.  If it is not too many fields, this
should be a reasonable sized object.