[R] Help with RGDAL

Michael Denslow michael.denslow at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 22:33:01 CET 2009

Hi Charlie and Don!

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:19 AM, cls59 <chuck at sharpsteen.net> wrote:

> Michael D. wrote:
>>
>> Hi Charlie!
>>
>> Sorry to jump in here so late but I just gave this a try. I usually
>> install rgdal from CRAN on windows or download the binary from
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com for Mac. I wanted to try your method from
>> building from source since the directions were so clear and
>> understandable. This is the first time I have done this and I am not
>> very terminal savvy.
>>
>> I ran the last command above and get this message:
>>

>> * installing to library
>> ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library’
>> * installing *source* package ‘rgdal’ ...
>> gdal-config: /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/unix/bin/gdal-config
>> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/config: line 143: make:
>> command not found
>> checking for gcc... no
>>
>> *SNIP*
>>
>> It seem to be looking for the C compiler among other things. Can you
>> provide any help on this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Michael
>>

> Hi Micheal,
>
> It looks like the Configure script couldn't find the make command and the C
> complier-- this most likely means you haven't installed the "Developer
> Tools" from your OS X cd.  This installation adds programs such as make and
> gcc to your system.
>
> Try opening the "Optional Installs" folder on the OS X cd and look for a
> installer that says "Xcode".  Run that installer and you should have
> everything you need to build from source.
>
> Good luck!

It worked! I just needed Xcode. Thanks for helping me install my first
package from source. I am now running rgdal version 0.6-20.

Don, I have used the kyngchaos binary build but wanted to see if I
could build my own and get the most recent version.

Thanks again,
Michael

> -Charlie
>
> -----
> Charlie Sharpsteen
> Undergraduate
> Environmental Resources Engineering
> Humboldt State University
> --

Michael Denslow

Graduate Student & Adjunct Instructor
I.W. Carpenter Jr. Herbarium [BOON]
Department of Biology
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina U.S.A.
-- AND --
Communications Manager
Southeast Regional Network of Expertise and Collections
sernec.org

36.214177, -81.681480 +/- 3103 meters