[R] Help with RGDAL

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Wed Nov 4 17:19:19 CET 2009

Michael D. wrote:

> Hi Charlie!
>
> Sorry to jump in here so late but I just gave this a try. I usually
> install rgdal from CRAN on windows or download the binary from
> http://www.kyngchaos.com for Mac. I wanted to try your method from
> building from source since the directions were so clear and
> understandable. This is the first time I have done this and I am not
> very terminal savvy.
>
> I ran the last command above and get this message:
>

> * installing to library
> ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library’
> * installing *source* package ‘rgdal’ ...
> gdal-config: /Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/unix/bin/gdal-config
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/config: line 143: make:
> command not found
> checking for gcc... no
>
> *SNIP*
>
> It seem to be looking for the C compiler among other things. Can you
> provide any help on this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Michael

Hi Micheal,

It looks like the Configure script couldn't find the make command and the C
complier-- this most likely means you haven't installed the "Developer
Tools" from your OS X cd.  This installation adds programs such as make and
gcc to your system.

Try opening the "Optional Installs" folder on the OS X cd and look for a
installer that says "Xcode".  Run that installer and you should have
everything you need to build from source.

Good luck!

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen