[R] R Books listing on R-Project

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Thu May 28 04:43:36 CEST 2009

G. Jay Kerns wrote:

> Hello Stavros,
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Stavros Macrakis <macrakis at alum.mit.edu>
> wrote:
>> I was wondering what the criteria were for including books on the Books
>> Related to R page <http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.html>. (There
>> is
>> no maintainer listed on this page.)
>>
>> In particular, I was wondering why the following two books are not
>> listed:
>>
>> * Andrew Gelman, Jennifer Hill, *Data Analysis Using Regression and
>> Multilevel/Hierarchical Models*. (CRAN package 'arm')
>>
>> * Michael J. Crawley, *The R Book*. (reviewed, rather negatively, in *R
>> News
>> * *7*:2)
>>
>> Is the list more or less arbitrary?  Does it reflect some editorial
>> judgment
>> about the value of these books? If so, it might be more useful to include
>> the books, but with critical reviews.  It doesn't seem to be a matter of
>> up-to-dateness, because 38/87 of the listed books were published in a
>> more
>> recent year than Gelman or Crawley.
>>
>> The list is currently in reverse chronological order.  I wonder if it
>> would
>> be useful to group the entries thematically -- I'd be happy to help on
>> that
>> project.
>>

> I had a similar idea in 2008 for the R-wiki:
>
> http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e5/devel/08/10/0481.html
>
> There were no responses and I ran out of time to continue working on
> it myself.  If you are interested in proceeding along these lines then
> I have some more ideas and would be willing to help...  or, perhaps
> you (or somebody else) knows of an even better approach.
>
> Cheers
> Jay

I don't know what the editorial policy is, but Kurt Hornik put my book
up when I asked him to.  (The BibTeX entries for both books are at
the bottom of this message, in case that's useful.)

Jay: why not post your R-books how to on the wiki itself???

  I wrote some R code to wikify the R-books list from the
R web site -- it won't deal with LaTeX code in the abstract,
but otherwise should convert automatically.

w <- readLines(url("http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.bib"))
g <- c(grep("^@",w),length(w)+1)
gd <- diff(g)
gd2 <- rep(1:length(gd),gd)
w2 <- split(w,gd2)
w2 <- w2[-na.omit(match(g,grep("^@comment",w)))]
w3 <- lapply(w2,
             function(x) { c("<bibtex>",x,"</bibtex>") })
w4 <- lapply(w3,
             function(x) {
               abs.start.token <- "^ *abstract *= *{"
               abs.end.token <- "} *, *$"
               abs.start <- grep(abs.start.token,x)
               abs.end <- grep(abs.end.token,x[-(1:abs.start)])+abs.start
               abstr <- x[abs.start:abs.end]
               n <- length(abstr)
               abstr[1] <- gsub(abs.start.token,"",abstr[1])
               abstr[n] <- gsub(abs.end.token,"",abstr[n])
               c(x[-(abs.start:abs.end)],"",abstr)
             })

@book{crawley_r_2007,
	edition = {1},
	title = {The R Book},
	isbn = {0470510242},
	publisher = {Wiley},
	author = {Michael J. Crawley},
	month = jun,
	year = {2007}
}
@book{gelman_data_2006,
	address = {Cambridge, England},
	title = {Data Analysis Using Regression and {Multilevel/Hierarchical}
Models},
	url = {http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/arm/},
	publisher = {Cambridge University Press},
	author = {Andrew Gelman and Jennifer Hill},
	year = {2006},
	keywords = {uploaded}
}