[R] R Books listing on R-Project

G. Jay Kerns gkerns at ysu.edu
Wed May 27 21:18:52 CEST 2009

Hello Stavros,

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Stavros Macrakis <macrakis at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> I was wondering what the criteria were for including books on the Books
> Related to R page <http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.html>. (There is
> no maintainer listed on this page.)
>
> In particular, I was wondering why the following two books are not listed:
>
> * Andrew Gelman, Jennifer Hill, *Data Analysis Using Regression and
> Multilevel/Hierarchical Models*. (CRAN package 'arm')
>
> * Michael J. Crawley, *The R Book*. (reviewed, rather negatively, in *R News
> * *7*:2)
>
> Is the list more or less arbitrary?  Does it reflect some editorial judgment
> about the value of these books? If so, it might be more useful to include
> the books, but with critical reviews.  It doesn't seem to be a matter of
> up-to-dateness, because 38/87 of the listed books were published in a more
> recent year than Gelman or Crawley.
>
> The list is currently in reverse chronological order.  I wonder if it would
> be useful to group the entries thematically -- I'd be happy to help on that
> project.

I had a similar idea in 2008 for the R-wiki:

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e5/devel/08/10/0481.html

There were no responses and I ran out of time to continue working on
it myself.  If you are interested in proceeding along these lines then
I have some more ideas and would be willing to help...  or, perhaps
you (or somebody else) knows of an even better approach.

Cheers
Jay

G. Jay Kerns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, OH 44555-0002 USA
Office: 1035 Cushwa Hall
Phone: (330) 941-3310 Office (voice mail)
-3302 Department
-3170 FAX
E-mail: gkerns at ysu.edu
http://www.cc.ysu.edu/~gjkerns/