[R] Hierarchical glm with binomial family

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Wed May 27 16:17:50 CEST 2009

Johan Stenberg-2 wrote:

> Dear members of the R help list,
>
> I want to do a hierarchical glm with binomial family but am unsure
> about how to write the syntax which involves nesting.
>
> I want to test whether the risk of being attacked by Herbivores for
> Meadowsweet plants is significantly dependent on the Distance to
> heterospecific source plants.
>
> Dependent variable = Herbivory (yes/no)
> Explanatory continuous variable = Distance to heterospecific source plant
>
> Distance should be nested within Subpopulation which in turn should be
> nested within Population.
> The number of replicates per subpopulation varies between 8 and 36.
> The number of subpopulations per population varies between 4 and 9.
>
> I haven't figured out how to do nesting, but guessing that nesting is
> denoted with brackets I guess the syntax should look something like
> this (below). Could you please help me to correct this syntax so that
> it becomes useful in R?
>
> model<-glm(Herbivory~Distance(Subpopulation(Population)), family=binomial)

You probably need a GLMM (generalized linear mixed model), which is
a little bit of a can of worms.  If so, you will need the "glmer" function
inside the "lmer" package.

  I'm not entirely clear about your experimental design: I understand
that subpopulations are nested within populations, but it's not clear
whether covariates (distances to heterospecific plants) differ within
subpopulations or populations.

  If they don't differ with subpopulations, I would (strongly) recommend
aggregating the
values within subpopulations and analyzing proportions as a regression
analysis:
see Murtaugh, Paul A. “SIMPLICITY AND COMPLEXITY IN ECOLOGICAL
 DATA ANALYSIS.” Ecology 88, no. 1 (2007): 56-62.

  If they do, then your design is

model<-glmer(Herbivory~Distance+(1|Population/Subpopulation),
family=binomial)

  See also:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2009q2/002320.html
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2009q2/002335.html