[R-sig-ME] New to LMER with 2 (easy?) questions...

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Fri May 22 01:46:54 CEST 2009

  what I meant was, that if your blocks within sites were labeled
uniquely as 1,...,n*N you should specify your (block "within" site)
effect as (1|BLOCK), whereas if they were labeled 1,..,n,1,..,n,1,..,n
... you should specify it as (1|SITE:BLOCK) as Rolf did.  If your
blocks are labeled uniquely and you specify (1|SITE:BLOCK) then you
end up with a lot of empty SITE:BLOCK combinations (because e.g.
block 72 only occurs in site 14, but your model includes terms for
block 72 in every site).
  I hope that's now clear and that I'm right, but please correct
me if necessary!

  cheers
    Ben

--
Ben Bolker
Associate professor, Biology Dep't, Univ. of Florida