[R] cairoDevice.dll error, but it exists..?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon May 25 16:25:37 CEST 2009

On 5/25/2009 9:43 AM, zubin wrote:
> Hello, running windows vista, R2.9.  Installed the following libraries:
> (*latticist*, *playwith* and *Cairo*)
>
> Wanted then to run, to evaluate the visualization features:
>
>>data(iris)
>
>>library(latticist)
>
>>latticist(iris)
>

> However, i tested my desktop and laptop and get the following error
> after typing latticist(iris):
>
> latticist(iris)
> Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
> unable to load shared library
> 'C:/Users/luna/Documents/R/win-library/2.9/cairoDevice/libs/cairoDevice.dll':
> LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.
>
> Error: package 'cairoDevice' could not be loaded
>

> However, i navigate to the location in the path above and i do see the
> cairoDevice.dll file, so i can't figure out what's going on.  Again, i
> tested 2 machines, with R2.9 and Vista, same error on both.

Don't you get a popup error dialog?  I do, and it says that
libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll was not found.  Only when I click on okay does it
return to the console to tell me about the cairoDevice failure.  So I
think the real problem is with the libgdk not being present, and that
causes the cairoDevice dll to fail to load.  Windows doesn't tell R
about the reason, it just says it failed.

The reason that library was not installed is that I didn't have RGtk2
installed properly.  Try library(RGtk2), and make sure it works (and let
it install GTK if it wants), and things should be fine.

Duncan Murdoch