[R] cairoDevice.dll error, but it exists..?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 25 16:19:59 CEST 2009

Most likely you did not install the dependent DLLs: you need Gtk2
(aka GTk+) installed *and in your path*.

That message does not say that 'cairoDevice.dll' cannot be loaded, but
a DLL it specified: in interactive use on recent versions of Windows
you normally get a pop-up with more information.

The CRAN windows/contrib/2.9 ReadMe says

   Package RGtk2 requires an installed version of Gtk2 with version
   number >= 2.10.11.

and I believe something similar is true of cairoDevice by the same
author.  A good source of a pre-compiled Gtk2 is
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gladewin32/ , and I guess you need
gtk-2.12.9-win32-2.exe from gtk+-win32-runtime.

If you insist on using a toolkit designed for Unix on Windows you can
expect a rough ride: even when all the Gtk2 components are installed
there are lots of issues with fonts.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk