[R] good numerical optimization to use in R?

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Fri May 22 04:50:16 CEST 2009

What kind of optimization problem are you trying to solve?

For smooth, nonlinear optimization, with box-constraints - optim(), nlminb(), spg()

For smooth, nonlinear optimization, with linear inequality constraints - constrOptim()

For smooth, nonlinear optimization, with equality and/or inequality constraints - Rdonlp2

See the CRAN Task View: Optimization and Mathematical Programming for more information.

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
School of Medicine