[R] S data sets in R?

Michael Hannon jm_hannon at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 21:01:53 CEST 2009

Greetings.  I'm trying to learn to program in R.  (I'm definitely NOT new to
programming, just to R.)  A colleague suggested that I have a look at the
book:

    An Introduction to S and S-Plus
by:
    Phil Spector

I've glanced at the book, and it does indeed seem to be the kind of thing I
wanted, but in the Introduction to the book, the author says he'll be using
several example data sets throughout the book, including:

    1. auto.stats

    2. saving.x

    3. rain.nyc1

    4. state.x77

The author states:

    These data sets should be available as part of the standard
    S distribution, so you can simply refer to them as they are
    used in the examples.

Of course I want to use R, not S.  I have every "R-*" package installed on my
Fedora linux system, but I can't find any of the data sets mentioned above.
(The command "locate rain.nyc" produces no output, for instance.)

It's entirely possible that these data sets are installed, but I just don't
know enough about R to determine that.

Hence, I need to help to find out if the data sets are installed, or if they CAN
be installed, etc.

If you can steer me in the right direction, please do so.

Thanks.

-- Mike