[R] Overdispersion using repeated measures lmer

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Tue May 19 11:57:09 CEST 2009

Dear Christine,

(Month|Block) and (1|Block) + (1|Month) are completely different random effects. The first assumes that each Block exhibits a different linear trend along Month. The latter assumes that each block has a random effect, each month has a random effect and that the random effects of block and month are independent. So each month has a different effect, but within a given month that effect is the same on each block. It is up to you to see if that kind of assumption is valid in your design.

Missing values should not be a problem, as long as they are missing at random. I would not try to impute the missing values. How would you determine the imputed values? That requires a lot of assumptions and they could affect your model parameters.

HTH,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Research Institute for Nature and Forest
Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics, methodology and quality assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium
tel. + 32 54/436 185
Thierry.Onkelinx at inbo.be
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey