[R] Function recommendation for this study...

Paul Heinrich Dietrich paul.heinrich.dietrich at gmail.com
Sun May 10 14:25:27 CEST 2009

Hi,
I'm not used to thinking along these lines, and wanted to ask your advice:

Suppose you have a sample of around 100, consisting of patients according to
doctors, in which patients and doctors are given a questionnaire with
categorical responses.  Each patient somehow has roughly 3 doctors, or 3
rows of data.  The goal is to assess by category of each question or DV the
agreement between the patient and 3 doctors.  For example, a question may be
asked about how well the treatment is understood by the patient, and the
patient answers with their perception, while the 3 doctors each answer with
their perception.

The person currently working on this has used a Wilcoxon Sign Rank test, and
asked what I thought.  Personally, I shy away from nonparametrics and prefer
parametric Bayesian methods, but of course am up for whatever is most
appropriate.  I was concerned about using multiple Wilcoxon tests, one for
each question, and wondering if there is a parametric method in R for
something like this, and a method which is multivariate?  Thanks for any
suggestions.