[R] plm: plm.data vs pdata.frame

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu.ac.at
Sat May 9 23:49:42 CEST 2009

Stephen:

> I am trying to use the plm package for panel econometrics. I am just
> trying to get started and load my data.

Look at the Journal of Statistical Software paper that introduces the
"plm" package:
   http://www.jstatsoft.org/v27/i02/

> It seems from most of the
> sample documentation that I need to use the pdata.frame function to
> get my data loaded. However, even after installing the "plm" package,
> my R installation cannot find the function.

pdata.frame() was removed from the package. plm.data() took over some of
its purposes. See the paper mentioned above for more details.

> I am trying to follow the
> example in plmEN.pdf ( cran.mirroring.de/doc/vignettes/plm/plmEN.pdf )

That version is two years old, plm changed (and improved) a lot since
them. You shouldn't use that mirror in general (unless you want to use
tools from 2007...).

Yves & Giovanni: The latest version of plm has lost its "inst" directory.
Hence, there is no vignette and no pointer to the JSS paper via the
CITATION. It seems that the inst directory wasn't moved to R-Forge...

hth,