[R] Hierarchical Diagram of Networks in sna or otherwise?

Gábor Csárdi csardi at rmki.kfki.hu
Tue May 5 09:10:19 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:31 PM, jebyrnes <byrnes at msi.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> Nearly.  The algorithm turns up slightly different graphs each time (and
> set.seed doesn't seem to make it consistent)

Hmmm, that should not happen, I'll check it out.

> and periodically chokes.

Can you send me the graph for which this happens?

> But
> better than what I had.  Hrm.  I don't know much about the algorithm
> graphviz uses for dot.  Do you have a reference on hand?

No, I don't. Have you checked the graphviz homepage?

> If it's simple,
> I'd be willing to take a whack at it.

I doubt that it is simple, but I think it would be very useful to have
a free implementation. (I would have already ported the graphviz
layout algorithms to igraph, but their licenses are not compatible.)

Best,
Gabor