[R] help about: anova and population no normal

Mike Lawrence Mike.Lawrence at dal.ca
Tue Mar 31 17:18:02 CEST 2009

Those with more formal statistical backgrounds may provide better
advice, but in my own informal training I've come to wonder why
parametric stats persist in the face of modern computing power. As I
understand it, Fisher developed ANOVA as low-computation method of
approximating the Randomization Test (a.k.a. exhaustive permutation
test). Where computation power has grown exponentially since Fisher's
time, these days it is feasible to compute the full R-Test in many
cases, and for those cases where the full R-Test  is not feasible,
non-exhaustive permutation variants usually satisfy. Indeed, it has
been shown (http://brm.psychonomic-journals.org/content/37/3/426.short)
that the R-Test is more powerful than the F-Test in the face of skewed
distributions.

My advice would thus be to abandon parametrics and simply code a
randomization test variant of the ANOVA you want.

Mike