[R] cmprsk- another survival-depedent package causes R crash

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Mar 30 02:01:26 CEST 2009

Nguyen Dinh Nguyen wrote:
> Dear Prof Gray and everyone,
>
> As our package developers discussed about incompatibility between Design and survival packages,  I faced another problem with cmprsk- a survival dependent packacge.
> The problem is exactly similar to what happened to the Design package that when I just started running cuminc function, R was suddenly closed.
> These incidents suggest that maybe many other survival dependent packages being involved the problem
> Could you please consider the matter
>
> My R version: 2.8.1
> Window XP Service pack 3
>
> Regards
> Nguyen D Nguyen
> Garvan Institute, Australia

Nguyen,

As much as this costs some effort from us, it is the risk we take when
calling another package's code at other than the highest level.  Other
package developers are especially free to change calls to C and Fortran
code, and we hook into some of survival's C code which has changed
(slightly).

Frank