[R] Burt table from word frequency list

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Mar 29 20:46:43 CEST 2009

On 29-Mar-09 16:32:11, Joan-Josep Vallbé wrote:
> Ok, thank you. And is there any function to get the table directly
> from the original corpus?
>
> best,
> joan-josep vallbé

You will have to think about what you are doing. As Duncan said,
you need "counts of pairs of words" or, more precisely, of
co-occurrence. But co-occurrence within what?

Adjacent?
Within the same sentence?
Within the same paragraph?
Within the same chapter?
Within the same document (if your corpus incorporates several
  documents)?
Within documents by the same author?
  If so, then is there an additional classification by
  individual document?

Etc., etc., etc.

In short, what is the structure of your corpus, and how do
you wish this to be represented in the Burt table?

Hoping this helps to move you forward,
Ted.

> On Mar 29, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
>> On 29/03/2009 7:02 AM, Joan-Josep Vallbé wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>> I have a word frequency list from a corpus (say, in .csv), where
>>> the  first column is a word and the second is the occurrence
>>> frequency of  that word in the corpus. Is it possible to obtain a
>>> Burt table (a  table crossing all words with each other, i.e.,
>>> where rows and columns  are the words) from that frequency list
>>> with R? I'm exploring the "ca"  package but I'm not able to solve
>>> this detail.
>>
>> No, because you don't have any information on that.  You only have
>> marginal counts.  You need counts of pairs of words (from the
>> original corpus, or already summarized.)
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 29-Mar-09                                       Time: 18:46:40