[R] chisq.test: decreasing p-value

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Mar 11 12:32:07 CET 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 6:36 AM, soeren.vogel at eawag.ch wrote:

> A Likert scale may have produced counts of answers per category.
> According to theory I may expect equality over the categories. A
> statistical test shall reveal the actual equality in my sample.
>
> When applying a chi square test with increasing number of
> repetitions (simulate.p.value) over a fixed sample, the p-value
> decreases dramatically (looks as if converge to zero).
>
> (1) Why?

With low numbers of repetitions the test has low power, i.e, it may
give you the wrong answer to the question: are those two vectors from
the same distribution? As you increase in number, the simulated value
approaches the "truth".

> (2) (If this test is wrong), then which test can check what I want
> to check, that is: are the two distributions of frequencies
> (observed and expected) in principle the same?

"In principle" they are not the same. Do you want a test that tells
you they are?