[R] xyplot() - can you control how the plots are ordered?

Mark Difford mark_difford at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 8 10:14:49 CET 2009

Hi Anand,

>> The output of the xyplot() is sorted by the alphabetical order of
>> months (First Apr, then Aug so on). I need to output such that the
>> order of the months is maintained, i.e. plot of Jan first, then Feb, Mar
>> ... so on.

Because the levels of your factor are sorted this way:

mdata$z
levels(mdata$z)

So reorder them, e.g. ?reorder, or use the following if you don't want to
permanently reorder levels:

## ignore the warning message
h <- xyplot(y ~ x | relevel(z,ref=c("Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May",
    "Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec")), data = mdata)
plot(h)

Another way of doing it is to use the index.cond argument to xyplot (see:
?xyplot).

Regards, Mark.