[R] R version-2.9.1 for Linux

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue Jun 30 20:56:10 CEST 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, utkarshsinghal wrote:

> I am currently using R version 2.8.1 on linux cent os 4.4
> (i386) and want to upgrade to version 2.9.1. It seems to me
> that version-2.9.1 is it not for my OS.
> Am I right?

CentOS 4.4 is quite old at this point ...

The following Build Requirements for the SRPM I mentioned
earlier are not present pre se on a CentOS 4 platform (and are
readily available on a CentOS 5):

 	gcc-gfortran	(workaround exists under another
 		package name)
 	texinfo-tex	(workaround exists)
 	java-1.5.0-gcj	(workaround exists)
 	lapack-devel	(looks readily solveable, but not
 		present)
 	libSM-devel	(present in xorg-x11-devel)
 	libX11-devel	(present under another package name -
 		xorg-x11-devel)
 	libICE-devel	(present in xorg-x11-devel)
 	libXt-devel	(present in xorg-x11-devel)
 	libXmu-devel	(present in xorg-x11-devel)
 	cairo-devel	not present, has a shifting API, and
 		is hard to solve in CentOS 4

Hope this helps -- moving to CentOS 5 series will make life
much simpler for you, and it a fairly painless upgrade

-- Russ herrold
 	herrold at centos dot org