[R] classification table in logistic regression

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Jun 4 13:37:13 CEST 2009

Peter Flom wrote:
> Frank E Harrell Jr <f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu> wrote
>
>> Armida,
>>
>> I regret putting CTABLE as an option on the old SAS PROC LOGIS which was
>> a basis for PROC LOGISTIC.  Classification tables are arbitrary and
>> misleading so I would stay away from them.
>>
>> You might build a model with and without the variable of interest and
>> plot the two predicted probabilities against each other for more insight
>> than what is provided by a classification table.
>>

> Frank,
>
> I agree with 'arbitrary' but why 'misleading'?  Purely for the same sorts
> of reasons that histograms can be misleading, or for other reasons, as well?

Hi Peter,

I have an example where adding a very important variable to a model
makes the classification accuracy worsen (it's attached if such
attachments are allowed).   In many other cases such an accuracy
assessment moves in the right direction but is too insensitive to real
information.  Its statistical power is not competitive and it gets us
too much in the habit of dichotomization.  Classification is also
misleading in that it makes the user implicitly use a utility or loss
function that is nonsense.

Frank