[R] fisher.test CIs

francogrex francogrex at mail.com
Sat Jul 4 10:28:46 CEST 2009

The reason I had asked how and what method was used to calculated the
confidence intervals of the odds ratio in the fisher.test is because I don't
think it's the exact method based on permutations. It seems that the exact
method is not implemented in R or anywhere else:
"In a tactic originally suggested by Fisher, Cornfield developed an exact
method for getting an odds ratio’s confidence interval. The calculations are
complex and computer-intensive because iterative numerical solutions are
required for quartic equations. Because of the calculational complexity,
Cornfield’s
method is seldom used. If you do a lot of this work, however, you might want
to get and use the appropriate computer program. [The Cornfield method is
not available in standard SAS, BMDP, or other packages, but can be found in
the EPIINFOVersion 5 available from the Centers for Disease Control.]".
Is the above correct?