[R] can't load rJava in R 2.8.1 on Windows XP

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Jan 23 21:00:05 CET 2009

On 1/23/2009 12:06 PM, Dieter Menne wrote:
> Duncan Murdoch <murdoch <at> stats.uwo.ca> writes:
>

>> If you look at rJava:::.onLoad now that you can load the package,
>> you'll see that it goes through a number of tests to try to find the
>> right path.
>
> Slightly different for me, but failure:
>
> jvm.dll is on path (checked successfully with "where jvm.dll")

 From within R?  Remember that the PATH is process-specific.  Maybe your
shell added something that put jvm.dll on its path, but you didn't start
Rgui from there.

In any case, looking at the .onLoad, it appears the easiest thing to do
is to define the environment variable JAVA_HOME.  The startup code puts
$JAVA_HOME/bin, $JAVA_HOME/bin/client, and $JAVA_HOME/jre/bin/client
onto the end of the path, so things should work if at least one of those
has your jvm.dll in it.

Duncan Murdoch