[R] can't load rJava in R 2.8.1 on Windows XP

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Fri Jan 23 18:06:54 CET 2009

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch <at> stats.uwo.ca> writes:

> If you look at rJava:::.onLoad now that you can load the package,
> you'll see that it goes through a number of tests to try to find the
> right path.

Slightly different for me, but failure:

jvm.dll is on path (checked successfully with "where jvm.dll")

Rgui: Dialog Box (Translated from German)

R Console: RGui.exe Component not found

The application could not be started because jvm.dll could not be found.

rJava package as of today

R version 2.8.1 (2008-12-22)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=German_Germany.1252;LC_CTYPE=German_Germany.1252;
LC_MONETARY=German_Germany.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=German_Germany.1252

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices datasets  utils     methods   base