[R] Trouble about the interpretation of intercept in lm models

Stefano Leonardi stefano.leonardi at unipr.it
Tue Jan 13 23:54:53 CET 2009

David Winsemius wrote:

> It would be so *if* you had estimated a saturated model, but you did
> not. Your fit
> of Y|A values is adjusted for the B values.

Thank you.
What do you exactly mean by "Y|A values is adjusted for the B values"?

And Yes. It works! Using the interaction I got what I expected as intercept.

Thanks
Stefano
> Try instead with lm(Y ~ A * B). You should get intercept (1), main
> effects(1+2) and
> interaction terms(2) which should total the number of groups.
> Appropriately combined,
> these estimates will now exactly fit the "raw values".

  Stefano Leonardi
  Dipartimento di Scienze Ambientali
  Universita` di Parma                E-mail: stefano.leonardi at unipr.it
  Viale Usberti 11/A                            Phone : +39-0521-905659
  43100 PARMA  (Italy)                          Fax   : +39-0521-905402