[R] Trouble about the interpretation of intercept in lm models

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Jan 13 23:37:04 CET 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 5:15 PM, Stefano Leonardi wrote:

> Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>> Actually, notice that you are averaging identical values, so the
>> "mean"
>> in the tapply is slightly misleading.
>> Notice also that the intercept may be defined even when _no_
>> observations have zero entries in the design matrix. This is the
>> usual
>> case in linear regression, for instance, but it can happen in
>> factorial
>> designs (unbalanced, or using other than treatment contrasts) as
>> well.
>
> Thanks for the answers.
> Still I am not totally convinced about the interpretation of
> intercept as a mean of fitted values for group belonging to first
> level of each factor (those having 0 in all columuns in
> matrix.models, except the first column) because the reasoning seems
> to me a little cirucular.
> Being the intercept value the expected value for that group and, as
> Peter point out, being the same value for all observations in the
> group it seem clear that it intercept it is the mean of these value.
>
> It is not completeley clear to me why (in some cases, not always)
> the intercept is not equal to the mean of the first group of raw data.

It would be so *if* you had estimated a saturated model, but you did
not. Your fit
of Y|A values is adjusted for the B values.

Try instead with lm(Y ~ A * B). You should get intercept (1), main
effects(1+2) and
interaction terms(2) which should total the number of groups.
Appropriately combined,
these estimates will now exactly fit the "raw values".

--
David Winsemius