[R] Review my upgrade plan from 2.8.0 to 2.8.1

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 15:41:11 CET 2009

I am on Vista so some of this might be slightly different on XP
but I only keep one 2.8.x version, one 2.7.x version, etc.

For me, all 2.8.x versions of R go into:
%ProgramFiles%\R\R-2.8.x

so installing R-2.8.1 is just a matter of installing it over
R-2.8.0 and there is nothing more to do.

In general, I let R choose the location of the libraries.  It
creates two libraries (one for the packages that come
with R and one for the ones that I download):

%ProgramFiles%\R\R-2.8.x\library
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\R\win-library\2.8

I do keep separate R-2.6.x, R-2.7.x, R-2.8.x, etc. and for
the corresponding libraries in win-library I use
copydir.bat or movedir.bat from batchfiles.  See
http://batchfiles.googlecode.com

I also use Rgui.bat, also from batchfiles, to start R or else
click on the R icon on the Desktop.

I don't make any change to my PATH nor do I create nor
change any environment variables.  (Rgui.bat, copydir.bat,
movedir.bat, etc. can simply be placed anywhere on the
existing path.)