[R] How to comment in R

baptiste auguie ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 14:15:39 CET 2009

A somewhat twisted approach that has not been mentioned is to consider
everything a comment unless it is enclosed in special tags, as done in
the brew package,

for example,

>  brew(textConnection(
> "You won't see this R output, but it will run. <% foo <- 'bar' %>
>  Now foo is <%=foo%> and today is <%=format(Sys.time(),'%B %d, %Y')
> %>."
>  ) )

gives,

> You won't see this R output, but it will run.
> Now foo is bar and today is February 11, 2009.

I'd love to see an editor with a "brew" mode that acts as a notebook:
you type in your text in whatever language without worrying about the
syntax (R syntax, i mean!), and when you want to do a calculation you
just enclose it in such tags that behave like an inverted block comment.

Just a thought,

baptiste

On 11 Feb 2009, at 12:17, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> I think you need to revisit the suggestion of how to use Tinn-R
> to ensure you are doing it properly.  If its R code then if(FALSE)
> has already been mentioned as an alternative and another possibility
> is just enclose it in double quotes (or if there are double quotes in
> the passage then in single quotes):
>
> f <- function(x) {
>   " here
>   are some comments of
>   mine"
>   x+1
> }
>
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:32 AM,  <Mihai.Mirauta at bafin.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I use for the moment "#" at the begining of each line for comments.
>>
>> Is there any possibility to comment more than one line, like
>> something which shows the beggingng and the end of the comment? Or
>> is there a possibility to comment only a part of a line?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mihai
>>

>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Baptiste Auguié