[R] Problems in Recommending R

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 15:32:47 CET 2009

>  > I don't think you should completely rule out javascript.  It's
>  > possible to use it in ways that add to the utility of a page, while
>  > not detracting from it if not available.
>
> OK, what particularly do you have in mind?

Here's a few of examples off the top of my head.  These are things
that would add to the aesthetic appeal/usability of the site, without
distracting from the main content and without making the site unusable
if javascript is turned off.

 * instead of a single graphic from the r graph gallery, you could
have a slideshow of a random selection of many graphics (e.g.
http://css-tricks.com/creating-a-slick-auto-playing-featured-content-slider/)

 * you could use a js client side web analytics service (like google
analytics) to collect usage statistics across all cran mirrors in one
place (wouldn't work for packages, just pages)

 * you could use jsMath (http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/) to
convert from tex style math formulas to nicely styled formulas

 * you could use amberjack (http://amberjack.org/) to help people
learn where the important parts of the site are

 * you could use a lightboxing technique when zooming into screenshot
thumbnails, e.g. http://fancy.klade.lv/

These techniques all degrade well so if you don't have javascript you
don't missing functionality.

Hadley

--
http://had.co.nz/