[R] reference for ginv

Wacek Kusnierczyk Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no
Wed Feb 4 15:39:06 CET 2009

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> I have the second edition and in that one there are references:
>
> Rao & Mitra Generalized inverse ..., Wiley, 1971
> Pringle & Rayner, Generalized inverse ..., Griffin, 1971
> Dodge, Analysis of Experiments .., Wiley, 1985

far from obvious.  so ?ginv should refer directly to these, or state
which page in MASS provides the right references.  does 3rd p. 100 (as
provided in ?ginv) link to these (or other) publications?

vQ

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Wacek Kusnierczyk
> <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk at idi.ntnu.no> wrote:
>
>> ?ginv provides 'Modern Applied Statistics with S' (MASS), 3rd, by
>> Venables and Ripley as the sole reference.
>> I happen to have this book (4th ed) on loan from our library, and as far
>> as I can see, ginv is mentioned there twice, and it is *used*, not
>> *explained* in any way.  (It is used on p. 148 in the 4th edition.)
>>
>> ginv does not appear in the index of MASS.  ginv is an implementation of
>> the Moore-Penrose generalized inverse, but I can't find any reference to
>> an appropriate publication from Moore and Penrose in MASS either.
>>
>> Admittedly, MASS is inadequate as a reference for ginv, and it is
>> desirable that the reference be corrected.  Is this an isolated
>> incident, or a general practice?  (Perhaps the appropriate reference has
>> been removed in MASS 4th?)
>>
>> vQ

Wacek Kusnierczyk, MD PhD

Email: waku at idi.ntnu.no
Phone: +47 73591875, +47 72574609

Department of Computer and Information Science (IDI)
Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering (IME)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Sem Saelands vei 7, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Room itv303

Bioinformatics & Gene Regulation Group
Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine (IKM)
Faculty of Medicine (DMF)
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Laboratory Center, Erling Skjalgsons gt. 1, 7030 Trondheim, Norway
Room 231.05.060