[R] utf8 postscript cyrillic

Martin Ivanov tramni at abv.bg
Sun Dec 20 09:51:16 CET 2009

 Dear R users,

I am running R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26). I need to prepare an eps
graphic with a legend with cyrillic words. I tried setting the encoding
parameter of the postscript command, but in vain, nothing seems to work. I
tried with CP1251, KOI8-R, UTF-8 and Cyrillic (UTF-8 turned out to not be
available under /usr/lib/R/library/grDevices/enc). All I get is ????????
in the final inscription.

Has someone been successful in producing postscript legends with cyrillic
words and how? Is the encoding the only thing to be tweaked?

I would be glad if you share your experience.

Regards,
Martin