[R] [Rd] Formulas in gam function of mgcv package

Simon Wood s.wood at bath.ac.uk
Wed Aug 26 11:27:08 CEST 2009

This will not work...
> 2) y~s(x1, .... ,x36)
Estimating a 36 dimensional functions reasonably well would require a
tremendous quantity of data, but in any case the 36 dimensional TPS smoothnes
measure will involve such high order derivatives that it will no longer be
practically useful: in fact you will not have enough data to estimate the
unpenalized coefficients of the smoother (and if you did R would run out of
memory first).

In such a high dimensional situation, I think that GAMs are really only useful
if you have some prior knowledge of which variables are likely to interact
(and it's not too many of them). If there's no prior information saying
roughly what sort of smooth additive structure might be useful then, I'm not
sure that GAMs are the right way to go, and some sort of machine learning
approach might be better.

Then again, the real problem with
y~s(x1, .... ,x36)
is that the data just won't contain enough information to estimate s, if all
you can say is that s is smooth, but this also means that it's very unlikely
that you really need to estimate s(x1, .... ,x36) in order to predict well.
In that case, starting from
y ~ s(x1) + .... + s(x36)
and building the model up might result in something that does a reasonable
predictive job.

On the subject of tensor product smoothing vs isotropic smoothing. Isotropic
smooths are really only reasonable if you think  that the smooth should
display approximately the same amount of wiggliness in all directions. If
this is not the case then tensor product smoothing is a better bet. Centering
and scaling alone is not enough to ensure that isotropy is reasonable
(although in particular cases it may help, of course).

best,
Simon