[R] [Rd] Formulas in gam function of mgcv package

Corrado ct529 at york.ac.uk
Tue Aug 25 11:00:26 CEST 2009

Dear Gavin / Rlings,

thanks for your kind answer and sorry for posting to the dev mailing list.

Concerning the specific of your answer:

I am working with 6 to 36 covariates, and they are all centred and scaled. I
represented the problem with two variables to simplify the question.

So ideally, the situation is:

1) y ~ s(x1) + .... + s(x36)

vs.

2) y~s(x1, .... ,x36)

I am trying to build a predictive model. Since the the variables are centred
and scaled, I think I need an isotropic smooth. I am also interested in having
the interactions between the variables included, that is not a purely additive
model.

It is not clear to me when should I give preference to tensor smooths,
possibly because I have not understood well how they work.

I am reading Wood(2003) as recommended and I have also read rather extensively
Simon N. Wood. Generalized Additive Models: An Introduction, 2006, but still I
am stuck. Any additional suggestion or reading recommendation would be greatly
appreciated.

I have also some difficulties in understanding the values you have chosen for k
in the first example (why 60?).

Thanks

Best,

--
Corrado Topi

Global Climate Change & Biodiversity Indicators
Area 18,Department of Biology
University of York, York, YO10 5YW, UK
Phone: + 44 (0) 1904 328645, E-mail: ct529 at york.ac.uk