[R] Installing quantreg package under Ubuntu

Ben Bolker bolker at ufl.edu
Mon Aug 17 22:06:05 CEST 2009

Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> Does any have installation instructions for this?  When I run
> install.packages('quantreg') I get:
>
> gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -o quantreg.so akj.o boot.o brute.o chlfct.o
> cholesky.o combos.o crq.o crqfnb.o dsel05.o etime.o extract.o idmin.o
> iswap.o kuantile.o mcmb.o penalty.o powell.o rls.o rq0.o rq1.o rqbr.o
> rqfn.o rqfnb.o rqfnc.o sparskit2.o srqfn.o srqfnc.o srtpai.o -llapack
> -lblas -lgfortran -lm -lgfortran -lm -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lR
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -llapack
>

>  > sessionInfo()
> R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)
> i486-pc-linux-gnu
>
> [snip]

http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=getting-started:installation:debian

suggests

(sudo) apt-get install r-base-dev

or perhaps

sudo apt-get build-dep r-base

also see

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

for instructions on access to more up-to-date
repositories, the most salient of which are:
add

   deb http://<my.favorite.cran.mirror>/bin/linux/ubuntu jaunty/

(or hardy, intrepid, etc.) to /etc/apt/sources.list

The Ubuntu archives on CRAN are signed with the key of "Vincent Goulet
<vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca>" with key ID E2A11821. You can fetch this key
with

   gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-key E2A11821

and then feed it to apt-key with

   gpg -a --export E2A11821 | sudo apt-key add -