[R] Random sampling while keeping distribution of nearest neighbor distances constant.

Emmanuel Levy emmanuel.levy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 01:48:22 CEST 2009

Dear Daniel,

Thank a lot for your suggestion. It is helpful and got me thinking
more about it so that I can rephrase it:

Given a vector V containing X values, comprised within 1 and N. I'd
like to sample values so that the *distribution* of distances between
the X values is similar.

There are several distributions: the 1st order would be given by the
function diff.
The 2d order distribution would be given by
diff(V[seq(1,length(V),by=2)]) and diff(V[seq(2,length(V),by=2)])
The 3rd order distribution diff(V[seq(1,length(V),by=3)]) and
diff(V[seq(2,length(V),by=3)]) and diff(V[seq(3,length(V),by=3)])
The 4th order ....

I would like to produce different samples, where the first, or first
and second, or first and second and third, or up to say five orders
distance distributions are reproduced.

Is anybody aware of a formalism that is explained in a book and that
could help me deal with this problem? Or even better of a package?

Thanks for your help,

Emmanuel