[R] Random sampling while keeping distribution of nearest neighbor distances constant.

Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) NordlDJ at dshs.wa.gov
Thu Aug 13 01:00:50 CEST 2009

Emmanuel,

I don't know if this is a classic problem or not.  But given your description, you write your own function something like this

sample.dist <- function(vec, Min=1, Max=10){
  diffs <- c(0,diff(vec))
  sum_d <- sum(diffs)
  sample(Min:(Max-sum_d),1)+cumsum(diffs)
  }

Where Min and Max are the minimum and maximum values that you are sampling from (Min=1 and Max=10 in your example), and vec is passed the vector that you are sampling distances from.  This assumes that your vector is sorted smallest to largest as in your example.   The function could be changed to accommodate a vector that isn't sorted.

> V <- sort(sample(1:100,4))
#[1] 46 78 82 95
> sample.dist(V, Min=1, Max=100)
#[1] 36 68 72 85
> sample.dist(V, Min=1, Max=100)
#[1] 12 44 48 61

This should get you started at least.  Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Planning, Performance, and Accountability
Research and Data Analysis Division
Olympia, WA  98504-5204