[R] configure issue

Phil Spector spector at stat.berkeley.edu
Sat Aug 8 21:21:11 CEST 2009

Erin -
     Packages like tk8.4 are basically runtime packages.  They
don't provide the necessary header files that are required to
compile programs which will use those runtime packages.  I
suspect you'll need to install tcl8.4-dev and tk8.4-dev in order
to build those capabilities into R.  I think you'll also need
libxmu-headers, libxt-dev and libx11-dev for X11.  Basically,
whenever a compilation fails, it means you're missing the -dev
package.

                                        - Phil Spector
 					 Statistical Computing Facility
 					 Department of Statistics