[R] Time Series smoothing

voidobscura nshah171 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 20:33:58 CEST 2009

I have a set of data (in a matrix).  I spliced a column out and parsed it
as.ts (time series).  I then plotted the time series but I found that it was
very noisy.  I wanted to smooth it out.  However, I am having some problems
smoothing and plotting the smoothed version.

> A <- as.ts(read.table(choose.files()))
> x <- as.ts(A[,10])
> plot(x)
> > plot(smooth(x))

plot(smooth(x)) looks exactly like plot(x).  Also,

> StructTS(x)
Error in optim(init[mask], getLike, method = "L-BFGS-B", lower = rep(0,  :
 L-BFGS-B needs finite values of 'fn'

The HoltWinters smoothing or the Kalman smoothing don't work either for
various errors... I'm not quite sure what's wrong.

Thanks.