[R] How to compare parameters of non linear fitting curves

Etienne Toffin etoffin at altern.org
Wed Apr 22 12:55:31 CEST 2009

Spencer,

Le 22-avr.-09 à 03:33, spencerg a écrit :

>     Is your first model a special case of the second with eta1 = 0?
> If yes, what about using 2*log(likelihood ratio) being approximately
> chi-square?
Yes, the first model is a special case of the second with eta1=0…
Could you give me more explanation about this method with likelihood
ratio and chi-square ?

>     Can you recast the problem to use "nls"?  If yes, might the
> 'nls' methods for 'anova' or 'profile' give you what you want?

I tried fitting the distribution using nls (perfect fitting). However,
if I well understand 'anova' is used here to test alternative fittings
(of alternative models) on a same distribution. Here I want to test
the difference of parameter values between two different distributions
and one same model
  (i.e. I want to test if eta1(TREATMENT) is different

Do you have any other idea ?

Thanks,

Etienne

One short question about nls: are there any reason why nlm should be
used rather than nls and vice-versa (nls results are quite more full
than those of nlm)?