[R] line wrap in R console under windows

William Simpson william.a.simpson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 12:03:52 CEST 2009

I would like the R console to wrap lines at 80 cols.
It does not do so, even though I have used the Rgui Configuration
Editor to set the Console cols at 80 and the Pager cols at 80.

Please tell me how to set it up so I have word wrap.

Just to be clear: in older/other R versions, console input is wrapped
at 80 cols and so you have something that looks like
> blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
 blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah
Instead of what I see, which is
> blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah$
and I need to scroll sideways to see the rest of the stuff past $

I checked the archives and saw no postings on this.

Thanks very much for any help.

Bill