[R] Error in saveLog(currentLogFileName

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Apr 9 21:40:33 CEST 2009

On Apr 9, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Prew, Paul wrote:

> David,  thank you for your helpful reply.
>
> a) The sessionInfo goof is actually kind of enlightening.  I'm
> assuming that the purpose of adding the "()" symbols is to tell R
> that sessionInfo is a function to be invoked, and leaving "()"
> empty  says to use default arguments?

Yes. Exactly.

> b)  In the R GUI, I end my session by using the menu File > Exit.  A
> dialog appears, asking, "Save workspace image?", and I choose Yes.
>
> In fact, I just did it and got a message, never seen this one before
>
> "Console not found.  Error in structure(.External"dotTclObjv:,objv,
> PACKAGE - "tcltk"), class = "tclObj"):[tcl]invalid command name ".
> 6.1".

I am not an expert in the Windows GUI, but as a former user of it, I
would wonder if my installation of tcltk had gotten corrupted and
would try to reinstall. Caveat: That advice could be worth what you
paid for it.

> Closed that message, another similar message was behind it, but now
> the command name was "17.1"
>
> c) yes, agreed --- John Fox has been helpful to me a couple of
> times.  I like the R Commander (it automatically adds those pesky
> details like () that elude me), but I can't go the CRAN to get
> packages from it, so I end up back at the GUI to install a package.
> John has told me that moving back and forth between the GUI and
> Commander is not how Commander was intended to be used.  Perhaps
> this practice has led to some of the present confusions.
>
> Let's say I save a script or history or similar file that I would
> like to recall at a later time,
> If I save the file using RCommander, should I only open the file
> using R Commander?  Ditto for R GUI?  Regardless of which platform
> I'm saving the files with, they seem to have some of the same
> extensions, ".R", ".r", ".Rdata", etc.

I doubt that would be necessary, assuming the scripts do not have
function calls that depend on R Commander being around. Files with .r
extensions are just text files by another name.

I could not find a saveLog function with R-search restricted to
functions but did find it as an argument to RCmdr. IIRC, RCmdr uses
Tck/Tl extensively.

--
David

> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> Paul Prew  |  Statistician
> 651-795-5942   |   fax 651-204-7504
> Ecolab Research Center  | Mail Stop ESC-F4412-A
> 655 Lone Oak Drive  |  Eagan, MN 55121-1560

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT