[R] Eclipse and StatET Howto (also added Subversion, Rtools)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Apr 4 23:15:35 CEST 2009

On 4 April 2009 at 13:59, Ken-JP wrote:
| An update: after several days of struggling, I got StatET to work on Ubuntu
| 8.10 amd64, R 2.8.1.
|
| Here are some tips:
| 1. You may run into an X11 issue with tktcl in R as someone decided to omit
| /etc/X11/rgb.txt  If you get weird issues with your R installation with
| window colors like "red" or "black", then you may be missing this file.
| Retrieve a copy off the web, and log in/out or restart your X.

Well "dpkg -S /etc/X11/rgb.txt" says that this belongs to x11-common. Do you
have that package installed?

| 2. When installing packages into R >DO NOT< use sudo or you will run into
| problems later on - particularly if  your R packages automatically install
| into /home/myname/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.8

R packages Debian / Ubuntu systems have for years defaulted to using
/usr/local/lib/R/site-library -- that is still good default choice [and this
works via the R_LIBS entry in /etc/R/Renvirin and won't work if you locally
compile from R sources].  Sudo works, or you can youself to group adm or
staff and then use chmod g+w /usr/local/lib/R and you don't even need sudo.

| 3. I read of many problems with OpenJDK so uninstall that and install Sun's
| JDK instead (I think rJava may need Sun's JDK).  Google around for
| instructions - it was safer to remove OpenJDK first.  Make sure you get
| something reasonable when you do "java -version" and "R CMD javareconf"
|
| 4. Make sure you install the package rJava to completion - the system will
| build it

The package r-cran-rjava is now in Debian and should be in Jaunty. Then you
shouldn't need to have to fiddle with this.

Thanks, Dirk